So, the day finally arrived. On Thursday, the 26th of October at 4:30am, I woke my amazing wife to give me a lift to the airport so that I could finally attend PAX.

And what an amazing first day I have had.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. As many people have told me over the years, it’s not the destination that counts, but the road you take to get there. So let’s start at the beginning of my day.

As I mentioned earlier, I woke my gorgeous wife Emma and asked her very nicely to take me to the airport at half four this morning, to catch my first flight for the day. I packed both my Switch with Mario + Rabbids and the 3DS with Metroid: Samus Returns to make sure I wasn’t going to be bored, but didn’t end up turning either of these consoles on. Instead, I finally watched Kong: Skull Island on the flight between Mackay and Brisbane. For a movie that is all about giant monsters beating each other up, I gotta say I kinda enjoyed it. Pretty keen to see what they do with the sequel, and how they will tie in Godzilla.

The airport was surprisingly busy for 5am on a Thursday

We landed in Brisbane around the 9am mark, to which I only had a short time before I was back on my second flight, this time direct to Melbourne. Again, the Switch and 3DS didn’t get looked at, with all of my time being spent watching John Wick 2. Another great movie.

Finally, around the 11:30 mark, we landed in Melbourne. Due to daylight saving, I lost an hour over the Queensland/New South Wales border,Cold, overcast, drizzley Melbourne. Keep in mind, I had just come from Central Queensland. I’m pretty sure that at 6am this morning when I was getting on the plane, it was already 20-odd degrees. So when I stepped off the plane in my short, T-Shirt and double pluggers, I knew I had made my first mistake. Crikey it was cold.

Once I had grabbed my luggage, it was time for me to make my way from the airport to the city. I was glad I had done some research on this before I arrived, as the only real transport you have to choose from here is by car or bus. Unlike any of the other capital city airports I have been to (which is actually only Brisbane and Sydney), there is no dedicated train line. A taxi ride will probably end up costing you around  the fifty dollar mark, so the most cost-effective way is to jump onto the SkyBus. Now, I know what you’re thinking but no, this is just a regular bus, not some weird hover-bus contraption that I was hoping it to be. The name is pretty misleading.

Cutting a long story, boring story short, once I made my way into the city and checked into where I am staying with my Joey and my brother Mathew, I decided to go for a walk and meet up with one Peter ‘Wilko’ Wilkinson. He was having lunch at a little restaurant called Big Boy BBQ, and I decided to walk the 20-odd minutes to have a bite and say G’Day, where I also got the opportunity to meet Sammy Deedge and the casts from the Reset podcast and the Inconsolables.


After a quick bite, Wilko and I wandered down to the Melbourne Entertainment and Convention Centre to pick up our PAX Aus badges and meet with one Nico King.

Nico King is from a little company called Chaos Theory Games, and in conjunction with AFK Agency are working on a mobile game called Rainbow Reef. I won’t go into too much detail about it here, but I did get the opportunity to play around with the demo on Nico’s phone and had some fun with that. I’ll certainly be keeping my eye on the full release of this game.

After this, Wilko and I headed down to a little joint called Bartronica, located in inner-city Melbourne. Essentially, Bartronica is an arcade bar, with a bunch of old-school arcades and games for you to sink your teeth into, while you drink your favourite beverage. Here, we ran into our good friend Butters, who schooled both Wilko and I in the battle mode of the original Super Nintendo Mario Kart.

If you are in Melbourne, make sure you check out Bartronica!

To cap off the day, I was lucky enough to attend the Sea of Thieves Pre-Party. Fittingly enough, the party was being held on an actual boat called the Polly Woodside where groups of us were allowed a half hour hands on with the game. Now, while the half hour time slot made the learning curve a bit of a struggle, I had an absolute blast with this game. We only sunk our ship once, and still got away with a chest of treasure. I seriously can’t wait to get my hands on the full release.

Consider me totally on the Hype Ship for this game!

Today was a pretty long day, with the early start and the flights, but it was a great way for me to start my Journey with PAX Australia. I can’t wait to get into the expo hall tomorrow.