The Witcher 3 was one of the standout titles of 2015, it won multiple Game of the Year awards and captivated gamers worldwide. With its incredible writing, gorgeous world, mythical beast hunting and overall incredible game design, the Witcher 3 became an instant classic. From the Slavic influences in the games mythos and design, to development team size, The Witcher’s overarching universe is riddled with interesting facts. So here are our Top 10 Interesting Facts about The Witcher Series of Games.
10. The Witcher series of games are based of novels written by Polish author, Andrzej Sapkowski
9. Andrzej wrote his first Witcher novel in 1986 because he wanted to enter a writing competition. He came third.
8. All up, Andrzej has written 5 Witcher novels yet only 3 of them have been translated into English! The final two novels, The Swallow’s Tower, and Lady of the Lake, released in 1997 and 1999 in Poland respectively, are due for an English translation release in 2016 and 2017.
7. During events of The Witcher 2, Geralt is over 100 years old.
6. In the Witcher 3, Geralt’s beard grows in real time (In relation to the game world.)
5. The Witcher series is much more massive in Poland, a Movie and T.V series entitled The Hexer have both been released (to rather negative reception)
4. The Witcher 3’s game cover art, is a recreation of The Hexer’s movie cover art, which was released in 2001.
3. The Witcher 2 was originally denied classification within Australia, as the ratings board thought that offering sex as a reward for completing a particular quest, was not befitting of an MA15+ game.
2. In The Witcher 3, Geralt’s swordfighting is actually motion captured from master swordsman Maciej Kwiatkowski.
1. The Witcher 3’s map, is huge. Bigger than GTA 5, standing over Red Dead Redemption and dwarfing Skyrim, by comparison.